Oceaneering Structural Welder in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E;) systems.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Who You Are
- Strong & Agile – You love being active and athletic, especially outdoors or in places that most people wouldn’t dare to go.
- Realistic — You excel at work that includes practical, hands-on skill and problem solving.
- Conventional — You appreciate being provided set procedures and routines and working with data and details more than with ideas.
- Traveler – You need a constant change of scenery; willing and able to pick up and go when duty calls.
What You Will be Doing
Traveling all over to work with some of the best Marine Structural Welders in the industry providing welding services to repair, modify and install structural components on U.S. Navy Submarines.
You will be selecting proper materials and requirements to perform welding functions, and fabricating and installing fixtures & jigs required for welding process alignments. This position involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping, bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces and/or beneath machinery.
Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, a high level of critical thinking/reading comprehension, are essential in this role. The willingness, and ability to perform frequent overtime and travel is a condition of employment.
- Must have a Secret Security Clearance issued by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Applicant will be subject to periodic security investigations and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government.
- In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reports directly to the Supervisor in the performance of his/her responsibilities. In the absence of the Supervisor, he/she will report to an individual designated by the Supervisor. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Strict adherence to corporate, federal, state and local safety regulations prior to setting up or operating any machinery. In sure that all OII Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) are worn and that all damaged PPE is discarded. Read and understand OII PPE Policy.
- Read and interpret blueprints to plan setup and operation of the machine shop equipment prior to commencing the operation. Layout material prior to performing machining operations to prevent possible errors. Machine parts to close tolerances ensuring finish requirements of the drawings are achieved.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices; turning off machines when not in use, disposing of waste properly, sweeping the area, etc.
- Return tools/equipment to proper location and report any lost, missing, stolen or damaged items to the Facilities Supervisor in accordance with Process Instruction (PI-069).
- Assist the Facilities Supervisor, as directed by your Supervisor, for conducting preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Qualify as a Welder in accordance with OII Process Instructions (PI-022).
- Ensure that all requirements of the OII Quality Assurance Manual are followed when invoked by Task Group Instructions (TGI), Process Instructions (PI) and/or other guidance given by management.
- Perform machining operations using portable machines (required for forward site support).
- Follow detailed repair procedures and instructions (e.g.; QA packages steps, RECs, CWPs, FWPs, TGIs etc.) required to complete the production operations.
- Perform as Team Member, cooperating with the efforts of other trades during an installation, modification or repair operations.
- Prepare Condition Reports to document unsatisfactory condition(s) identified during the production operation (i.e.; repair, modification, etc.).
- Coordinate the efforts of other trades during an installation, modification or repair operation.
- Read and understand basic terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process. Materials are costly and the possibility of damage or spoilage is high without proper preparation.
- Fabricate and install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes.
- Select welding filler materials, joint design, proper heat ranges and most effective or required welding process/procedure to ensure quality welding operations
- Ensure and assume responsibility for Level I and SUBSAFE material controls in accordance with Process Instruction (PI-008).
High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with welding operations in a repair department or shipyard or fabrication shop. Must have the ability to obtain government base access. Knowledge and practical skills tests required. Qualify as a Welder/Workmanship Inspector in accordance with OII Process Instructions and welding procedures.
Additional Specialized Qualifications/Experience:Deep Submergence Systems (SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification. Automated welding processes.
Employee must provide his/her own personally owned and controlled hand tools for use in daily tasks. A tool list will be provided in new hire orientation
Travel & Overtime
- Frequent travel/overtime are required.
The Oceaneering Marine Services Division facilities can currently employ "US Persons", only. Your eligibility to work at this facility and/or transfer to other Oceaneering locations will be limited if you are not a US Citizen or are a dual citizen of another country. (The EAR and the ITAR definitions of a “U.S. person” is a “citizen or intending citizen” means an individual who is (1) a citizen or national of the U.S., (2) a lawful permanent resident, (3) admitted as a refugee, or (4) granted asylum.)
Oceaneering offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, work-life balance, and tailored career development programs that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
- Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance
- Vacation, Sick Leave & Company Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Insurance: Complimentary Basic Life & AD&D;
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Program Performance Reviews & Advancement Opportunities
- Personal Development & Learning Opportunities
- On-the-job Training, Skills Development & Certifications
- Employee Referral Program
- Corporate Sponsored Events & So Much More!
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Structural Welder
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 12449
Full/Part Time: Full-Time